Thursday, February 4, 2016

Your knowledge companion

Another thought blog by Visual mapper

Your knowledge companion

Regardless of where you're thought processes are right now with respect to personal databases; having one is a reality that may give you less knowledge management stress.

Now; if you're following these short thought blogs at visualmapper.org you'll be guided by my thought processes regarding the evolution of the mind mapper through information mapping to knowledge mapping.

At this point of the 21st century we're experiencing a quantum leap in technology. And this leap, is to me, like a fork in the road. To the left, technology offers a social media model of complete transparency, and to the right; technology offers a personal database model of encryption, security and safety.

Yes a vast majority of the connected world has a social media account; I do too, Twitter and LinkedIn is the extent of my social media exposure these days. I need to though, control my exposure due to business security and NDA's, and a personal database supplies me with absolute control.

Of course the social media user may say “hey these two things are the same thing”, I disagree. I experience very little control after I post, upload or share via any social media models. But it's clear the vast majority who use this model either, wilfully ignore the traps of transparency, or are simply conditioned out of believing encryption, security and safety are relevant.

The personal database models allow the user to have absolute control as to what is shared.

My personal choice for creating, managing and exchanging (controlled sharing) of my personal, academic and business data/information/knowledge is done via the only product that has proven to offer me the best secure, encrypted desktop to cloud sync capabilities to date.

This product/service? It's called TheBrain and you'll find it at www.thebrain.com. Most who view the brain are inquisitive knowledge management seekers who've been encouraged to take a look at it by enthusiasts and power users alike. Your first your reaction may be similar to my own when I first viewed TheBrain.

My reaction was something like: “WTF is this?” Hey I'm a Glasgow boy born and bred; I naturally react this way. But I must admit, I was very negative towards the graphical structure of this product initially. I am now a great admirer and supporter of this awesome product. You see; I was an evolving mind mapper who was stationed at a place called Visual Mapping.

My evolution was wrapped up in the environment I worked within at that time; it was the Quality management field, and boy I was struggling to manage my data and information via my traditional usage of mind maps and flowcharts and even rudimentary info-graphics.

I eventually settled with my graphical mapping product of choice www.conceptdraw.com and to date I can't be moved to use any other product range; as my charting and graphical charting needs are fully met within the ConceptDraw pro product.

My mind mapping usage has more variation that includes but isn't limited to using iMindMap, SimTech MindMapper, ConceptDraw MindMap, MindGenius, Xmind, MindManager, Comapping and Goalscape. How's that for a clear indication of graphical ADD, OCD? But alas due to the nature of my consulting work, I am compelled to keep tabs on and use most of the relevant mainstream visual mapping products to have a choice of excellent product to use to get the job done.

As much as I use and abuse many products associated with Visual Mapping; the one aspect of absolute need that has not been delivered to me by these mentioned products to date is the expansion of their single file architecture into a database file architecture. I've harped on about this in previous posts and I'll do it again no doubt.

But it is true; For all the products I use, not one of them have escaped from the single file, so restrictive, architecture. Yes I had that WTF moment when I saw TheBrain, but now I am almost in love with the TheBrain product/service. It has transformed the way I create, manage and exchange my database existence and I have complete control.

So this blog title “Your knowledge companion”; I say TheBrain can and does become your knowledge companion after you get past the WTF first impression. Visit www.thebrain.com, download the product, play with it, become frustrated with it, discover the realities it contains for your knowledge handling and after you take a step back for a bit; realize it can become your most important knowledge companion.


TheBrain: it really is yours to discover

No comments: