Thursday, February 18, 2016

It often all boils down to:

Another thought blog by Visual Mapper

It often all boils down to:

Do you recall the now embedded line captain Kirk states at the beginning of every star trek episode? Of course you do: “Space the final frontier”. No I'm not a Trekkie, but that statement always strikes me with a flood of thoughts that cause me to dwell on the significance of what Kirk says.

If we may: let's replace the word Space with Mind and the context immediately changes and we have a challenging suggestion. Space? Nope I'm not much of a space buff or fan, and if we are not alone in the universe; well I want to ask God about that when i get to meet her.

Whereas space is something “out there” beyond our normal perception, other than glaring at the skies at night to view the splendor of the creative big bang. But Mind; is not mind the universe within us, that repository of innumerable potentials?

At Visual Mapper, including all of my mind/visual mapping colleagues I associate and work with; we all seem to agree, understand, value and believe in the power of the human mind. We humans have the capacity to create, on one hand, most amazingly beautiful benevolence, yet on the other hand, we have the capacity to create grotesquely ugly malevolence too. A testament and condemnation of the condition of the human mind and its mental representations.

I keep this in mind, when I'm creating graphical representations of what a client, colleague or friend may need or request. And in the process of doing this; the result are pretty consistent.

Using the tools and methods of mind, visual, knowledge mapping, I often become far removed from objectivity and become wrapped up in the subjective thought processes my client projects to me. This is difficult to handle in most cases, as I am in no way feeling the thoughts of my client, but am trying to tune into the intentions of their thought processes.

Nope I don't assume the lotus position, start chanting or even wear my old hippy headband, and yes I have inhaled; I use mind mapping at the base level, the multiple formats of visual mapping as a graphical enhancement and knowledge mapping as my database management repository.

And another “nope” to the notion or suggestion that there's any kind of esoteric or occult happenstance in what I have said in relation to mind and the use of mind, visual, knowledge mapping.

There is though; a certain truth to the reality of experience of mind maps often being encountered as tools for expressing outwardly that which has originated inwardly; in our minds via thought. Yes we start all of this mapping stuff with the spark of thought. And indeed the mind does work only one way. We generate thoughts, and what better a tool such as mind mapping to tap-into our thought processes.

I believe many of my colleagues will agree with me when I say: after all these years of involvement within the mind/visual/knowledge mapping arenas; It all boils down to Personal development. And we consultants inevitably become some sort of coach to our clients, colleagues and friends via the use of these tools.

Whilst we consultant: may be constrained by NDA's not to speak directly of the work we do with specific clients. We are free however to speak openly; giving scenarios of how the tools and methods of mind mapping has indeed assisted our clients to develop a personal development mindset. And this mindset causes exponential improvements in the way they create, manage and share their own experiential connections with mind and thought.

But regardless of the ways in which we use the tools and techniques of visual mapping; in many cases it all boils down to personal development for numerous clients. I've started off with a very in depth assessment of either process management and/or a quality system. And in the process of my activities and the use of visual mapping I eventually have that one on one special moment of clarity with my clients.

Those clarity moments are very common, and that's where we may have to stop and ask our client if this is where they wish to take the direction of our skill sets. Of course that is after we've accomplished the commitments of our contractual terms of agreement.

But again; often more than not; I must say I end up almost being a coach to many of my clients via their personal series of epiphanies and insights offered by their my use and their understanding of the tools and techniques of visual mapping.

The development of an overarching mindset seems to be of importance to this insight process, and I am so interested in finding out if this has been a common or uncommon experience of my fellow colleagues while they take their clients through an understanding of the power of visual knowledge management.

Has it boiled down to personal development for you and your clients? I'd love to know.

No comments: