Friday, January 1, 2016

Mindfulness via Mind maps

Another short thought blog by Visual Mapper

Mindfulness via Mind maps

mind·ful·ness
ˈmīn(d)f(ə)lnəs/
noun
noun: mindfulness
  1. 1.
    the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something.
    "their mindfulness of the wider cinematic tradition"
  2. 2.
    a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.
The definitions above may be as close as some get to experiencing being in that zone often equated with mindfulness, clarity, epiphany or even insight.

I like the word insight rather than mindfulness, but we apparently get to that insight through mindfulness anyways. So yes there's a process, just like everything in life.

Mindfulness (or insight) via Mind maps: is this something esoteric or hidden? Nope; it can be though for some, and I have a few friends and colleagues who are very into that way of thinking in association with Mind maps.

[A word about Esoteric: to me it's merely a word that defines something that is hidden or may be hidden in clear sight; for me it's not the Hollywood conspiracy BS version.]

Me? I'm a mixture of personal development, academic enhancement, business productivity yet, I do have an inquisitive interest in the “fringe” association with a deeper understanding of how the human mind works while using Mind maps.

Keep this in mind: “A mind map is often an outward expression of the inward self” That's how it became for me a long time ago. I shared this personal finding with friends and colleagues, and whilst they often use other methods to make the connections between Mind, Consciousness and Thought; they all agreed that Mind mapping apparently has an almost esoteric quality.

The absolute power of the Mind map for many who dare to dig a little deeper into the implications for making a connection to and experiencing the benefits for their insights is a journey that's unique to every user.

The conversations I have with seasoned Mind mappers, who for the most part, are actually Knowledge mappers seems to all be in agreement regarding the “Insight” experiences while Mind mapping.

I personally use the T.A.P process to gain insight. I dump my thoughts into the virtual space of my computer and almost immediately find my self in that mindfulness zone where I may begin to feel that spark of creativity, innovation or maybe just that relaxing place where time seems to slow down and present us with those clarity moments, epiphanies and insights.

I often think; did Mr. Tony Buzan realize what he was formalizing when he introduced Mind mapping to the world? I believe he did, and for many mere Mind mapping is only the tip of the iceberg.

What's your take? Have you experienced a deeper connection with mindfulness via mind maps?

No comments: