Thursday, June 4, 2009

Visual mapping: What's in it for you?


I’ve often applied the proverbial elevator conversation to explaining the dynamics of Visual mapping to many of my future clients. It can be a challenge to define, within the time constraints of a minute or two, the potential gains of Visual mapping.

Here’s the one minute version:

Imagine a flexible framework that supercharges your information management skills.
I call it Visual mapping: which utilizes Mind/concept/cause/decision and project mapping. When you adopt this framework, you’ll improve the way you generate, handle and exchange information.
Become a superior information manager who creates with clarity, manages effectively, delivers on time and improves continuously.


Now here’s what is said when I get to sit down with a clients who invites me to explain more:

A note about this stage: It has become abundantly clear to me; the majority of my clients past and present require (read demand) a more personalized approach to teaching and coaching the skills and techniques of Visual mapping. They are basically asking us to transform their information handling practices, enabling them to gain visual mapping skills, at a personal level initially, before even considering sharing within their business environment.

The financial constraints of time management and training of modern business is strangling the potential innovative flow needed for nurturing ideas that may be the genesis of improvements within business systems.
I speak of innovation as being an integral element of using Visual mapping software products. Innovation has a genesis within our thought processes. This software enables users to view and develop ideas for business processes, propelling them to a higher level of Information Management.
Information management improvement is IMO, the single most important aspect of Visual mapping.

Business standards, statistical measurements, continuous improvement strategies et al, have overloaded the business professional regarding time and economic efficacy. Yes, these excellent tools are supposed to make our Personal, Academic and Business life more effective and productive.
I am receiving feedback though, screaming for help to change current ineffective approaches to information management.

Change comes in the form of Visual mapping, and at first it’s rather unbelievable that tools, techniques and this mindset creates calm and focus for the overloaded professional. One has to first come to the realization they are facing an information breakdown of sorts: accepting this reality is the first step to the visual mapping way of management.

The relatively short learning curve of Visual mapping software enables the stressed manager to realize the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t an oncoming data train; it’s a calmer, focused, flexible framework that transforms the way in which they create, manage and distribute information relevant to their business processes and system. One of the many by-products of Visual mapping is a realization of continuous improvement opportunities.


Visual mapping can become a dashboard for all of your business processes and functions. Think of it as a flexible-systematic framework for Personal, Academic and Business success. It starts with accepting the concept, daring to use the tools and tapping into the Mindset.

Do you want to get started?

3 comments:

Blusky said...

Makes complete sense to me. I tend to be right-brained in my approach, which means that I feel an obligation to have a looking in every single rabbit hole I come across! The result can be what I call "butterflying". This is where I find my mind flitting from thing to thing ... landing on an idea then quickly fluttering on to the next. While in some ways this is a pleasurable activity, it generates, as a businessperson, a sense of increasing panic and disorder. For me, the solution is simple: I just do a brain dump of all the things I need to do and then use a simple prioritisations system based on what affects my bottom line coupled with time constrains. Low and behold, the confusion lifts!
There is nothing revolutionary about this. The point is that I have a clearly defined “process” to deal with this (and many other) common situations.

Brian S. Friedlander, Ph.D said...

Hi Wallace:

You really have hit the mark as to the benefits of visual mapping. And do remember that the same strategies can be applied for the personal and academic domains as well. I often use visual mapping in the academic arena and find it a very powerful tool when I'm teaching and presenting information. Visual maps are great for aggregating various forms of data and having them available in one place. Thanks for your insightful post and I look forward to your blogging.

Brian

Garito said...

I'm agree with you

Using mind maps to define work process is a key to achive excelence because mind maps has a property than do not have other: it's fantastic to see something as a global and, in the same way and the same metaphor is fantastic to see the detail

I'm glad to read you talking about work process and mind maps because I'm working on a programming technique based on mind maps

Do you imagine programming computers with mind maps?

I don't need to imagine nothing because I'm preparing exactly that

With Yanged (is how I call it) I plan to program with mind maps and the filesystem

I know this is possible because I finish the first iteration of Yanged on Zope and it works like a champ

If you are interested on Yanged you could join me at Yanged Google group or comment in my weblog

I'll being reading you ;)